On January 31, 2020, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) announced a new edition of the Form I-9. Employers may start using the new form (edition date 10/21/2019) or continue using the previous edition (07/17/17) until May 30, 2020. Starting on May 1, 2020 employers should only use the new edition (10/21/2019). You can find the version date on the bottom left of the form and instructions.
Minor changes are made to the fillable form. The Instructions to the form have been updated with the following:
- Clarified who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer
- Updated USCIS website addresses
- Provided clarifications on acceptable documents for Form I-9
- Updated the process for requesting paper Forms I-9
- Updated the DHS Privacy Notice
WE CAN HELP
We'd love to speak with you about your situation. Every case is different and needs personalized attention from experienced immigration laywers. Your new team is waiting to hear from you.